Michelle Belto has been working in encaustic since 2007. As an international teacher she has spent many years simplifying this often frustrating, but utterly fascinating, medium. In this online class she will expand your tools into photo encaustic where you will have fun exploring your own images while experimenting with a variety of mixed media materials guaranteed to take your photography to a new level.
You will be working with a variety of oils, pigmented waxes and media such as graphite and India ink as you incorporate photographs into encaustic media. There are few rules to these processes and truly no limits to what you can do. Best of all…everything can be redone, covered over, uncovered or tweaked as your idea continues to unfold. You will discover how the translucent wax draws the light creating a seductive surface that captures light in a fascinating way.
These are some of the things you will be learning in this workshop:
• Learn about all that you will need to set up a simple and inexpensive encaustic studio that even fits into a small workspace!
• Learn how to correctly prepare your canvas for working, so that you have the option of working smooth and translucent or textural.
• Discover a variety of ways to incorporate your photos in wax: through pouring, as collage, in a transfer
• How to distress, age and color your photos
You will also learn these art tips and techniques you can use to carry your ideas forward:
• How to add a luscious surface to your photos through textural brush strokes, scratches and marks
• Increase the complexity of your work by adding subtle overlapping images
• Apply color to your black and white images with oil, wax glazes and pastels
• Enhance your image with texture
• Pouring wax and embedding objects
During your time together you will be a part of a community of artists who will be sharing their imagery and inspiring your work in new and exciting ways. This online class will serve as a strong foundation for your future work in encaustic.
Please be sure to check your e-mail purchase receipt for file attachments containing your materials and supply list, and any handouts provided with this workshop DVD.